[Xymon] HTTP test -- 404 results in yellow status?

Shawn Heisey hobbit at elyograg.org
Mon Oct 5 18:40:42 CEST 2015

Below is the text of the status page for the HTTP test on one of my
hosts, copied out of a browser window.  Note that the specific test line
shows "red" (the X icon) ... but this test as a whole is showing a
yellow status, and therefore we did not receive an alarm notification.
This is monitoring a production website and we were notified of the
problem by the customer, not our own monitoring.  This makes us look
unprofessional.

Why would a 404 response code not result in a red status, especially
when the inner test is marked red in the text?  The Xymon server is
version 4.3.21, built as an RPM from unmodified source.

I do have "delayred=http:10" on the hosts.cfg line.  Could this be a
case where the customer notified us before the delayred period expired?

Thanks,
Shawn

Mon Oct 5 10:29:12 2015: Not Found

red http://spark.REDACTED.com:8080/ - Not Found