[Xymon] Alert issue

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Thu Nov 12 16:41:56 CET 2015

On Thu, November 12, 2015 6:44 am, David Welker wrote:

> Thanks!  Makes sense.  I guess the alerts.cfg.5.html file needs to be
> changed?  That's where I was looking...
> *COLOR=color[,color]* Rule matching an alert by color. Can be "red",
> "yellow", or "purple". The forms "!red", "!yellow" and "!purple" can also
> be used to NOT send an alert if the color is the specified one.
>
> Well, that fixed my first issue.  Now when the cpu is reporting green, the
> --test gives me a "Failed" message as expected, but with the cpu reporting
> yellow, I get the same "Failed" message - failed due to color!
>
> Even took xymoncmd out of the equation and the result is the same.
> Took out EXSERVICE as well.
>
> Now all I have in alerts.cfg:
> PAGE=mypage
>   MAIL me at here.com COLOR=%(red|yellow)
>
> ..yet when I run:
>  xymond_alert --test server.com cpu
> I get..
> #### DATE TIME Failed 'MAIL me at here.com COLOR=%(red|yellow)' (color)
>
> Any other suggestions?  For example, do I have to restart the server after
> making changes to the alerts.cfg file?

I believe the proper syntax there is simply:

PAGE=mypage COLOR=red,yellow
   MAIL me at here.com

COLOR can be a list of options, unlike most of the other filters (such as
EXSERVICE) which must either lexically match OR have to be prepended with
a '%' to enter "pcre-regex" mode. Additionally, COLOR= appears to not be
allowed as a per-recipient filter; in this case, it'll need to be on the
main line.

One easy way to check the syntax and rule logic is to run xymoncmd
xymond_alert --dump-config . What shows up in the result will be how the
alert system interprets it.

Also, to actually enable 'yellow' alerts, you'll want to ensure the color
is added to "$ALERTCOLORS" in xymonserver.cfg if it's not already.

HTH,
-jc