[Xymon] "acceptonly" behavior

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Fri Nov 6 19:19:17 CET 2015

The "acceptonly" concept has been discussed briefly here, and was tried
out in 4.3.22-RC3. It's behavior wasn't as expected and it was removed
again. If this tag is going to make its way back in, I think we should
have a little discussion of how we'd like it to behave. Since I
originally brought the subject up, I figure it's polite if I started
this conversation.

What would be most useful to me is a per-host tag which was also
accepted on the .default. host lines. The tag would carry one or more
test names. Any messages for the host for a test not named on this tag
would be discarded as if they had never been received. An event would
not be logged for this message. A case-insensitive string match would
meet my needs.

The affected host will be able to send any messages they like, but only
those named in the 'acceptonly' tag will be accepted.

If test results for a newly-excluded host.test combination exist, it
will eventually result in a purple for that host.test, just as if the
host had stopped reporting that test.

If test results for a newly-excluded host.test combination do not exist,
there will never be a record of them in the history and they will not
appear on any report or create any alarms.

How might this tag interact with some other functions; like proxy,
msgcache, or pulldata? Do messages from these sources enter the flow
early enough that tags in hosts.cfg can have the desired effect?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration