[Xymon] Xymon version 5

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Sun Nov 1 11:08:02 CET 2015

On Sat, October 31, 2015 10:52 am, Novosielski, Ryan wrote:
> Check the list archives. There was a discussion not too long ago about it,
> as I recall.

I believe http://lists.xymon.com/archive/2014-January/038897.html is most
recent.

> On Oct 31, 2015, at 11:45, James Louis
> <jglouisjr at gmail.com<mailto:jglouisjr at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Maybe I'm out of the loop on this but is there going to be a version 5 of
> Xymon? Is there a roadmap page?

I was actually planning on a roadmap update during the 4.3.22 announcement
this week, but might as well post now. :)

After 4.3.22 is released, I'll be opening up the 4.4 release. This is
primarily focused on high performance and core features, including a
back-port of the compression support from Xymon 5 (a/k/a "trunk"). It's a
fairly large patch set that incorporates a lot of the work that had been
done in the Terabithia RPMs. The potential for migration gotchas combined
with the sheer size of the delta warrants a minor version bump, but it's
still identifiably "Xymon 4".

Xymon 5 is the trunk update Henrik has been working on for a while now.
The biggest core features are compression, sqlite as a data store, IPv6
and direct SSL communication support throughout, a new poller (xymonnet2)
and page generator, and more streamlined client->RRD processing.
Development on it's been somewhat stalled with Henrik being busy at his
new position, but it's still definitely "on the roadmap". For a more
specific ETA on it, I'd have to defer to him.

Performance-wise, there's a lot of improvement in 4.4 which gives
continued flexibility to the "roll your own" solutions for both
DB-type/automated access and SSL wrapping of payloads, which are probably
the two largest fundamental core features (outside of IPv6)... As
mentioned, compression will be backported into 4.4 -- with support for lzo
and lz4 on top of the original zlib -- but the rest hasn't made it in in a
testable form.

My plan is to get a 4.4 beta release out by the end of December.

I'm also looking to complete full removal of display HTML and an easier
way to deploy "themes" at the front end (which can, of course, link in to
whatever custom display solutions are desired). Some of that might be 4.4,
some might be 4.5, but IMO it's additional ways of visualizing / browsing
data at the web layer that would most help the project's reach.

Regards,

-jc