[Xymon] Detecting read-only file system in Linux

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Mar 11 00:58:28 CET 2015

On 11 March 2015 at 00:44, Thomas Eckert <thomas.eckert at it-eckert.de> wrote:

> Just for future reference as you already found your solution:
>
> From looking at the util-linux package I understand that _if_ the
> /proc-filesystem is mounted the information is used from there.

I don't think this is the case.  Running "strace" on the "mount" command
shows that it first looks at /etc/mtab, and if that exists, it doesn't look
at /proc/mounts.  Only if /etc/mtab doesn't exist, does mount look at
/proc/mounts.

So in a situation where the filesystem containing /etc is having problems
and goes read-only, /etc/mtab won't get updated because it's now read-only.