[Xymon] Why IGNORE HOST and EXHOST work differently with UNMATCHED?

Märt Laak mart.laak at active.ee
Fri Jul 31 08:34:28 CEST 2015

Hi Henrik and others who help to develop this invaluable piece of
software, Xymon!

I've been used BB more than 15 years for now and now trying to migrate
to Xymon because it seems more flexible and powerful to me. Now I'm in
the middle of converting my existing (fairly complex) bbwarnrules to
alerts.cfg

Everything works great except some strange to me cases with UNMATCHED.

For example, if you look at these two configurations - they seem similar
to human eye:

1: using IGNORE
---
HOST=*
   IGNORE HOST=somehost
   MAIL admin at domain.com

HOST=*
   MAIL supervisor at domain.com UNMATCHED
---

2: using EX...
---
HOST=* EXHOST=somehost
   MAIL admin at domain.com

HOST=*
   MAIL supervisor at domain.com UNMATCHED
---

However, the first (IGNORE HOST) construction does NOT send alert to
supervisor at admin.com in case of somehost alert, as expected.

Is it bug or is there some explanation for this behavior?

With kindest regards,
Märt