[Xymon] Possible bug in protocol tests

Shawn Heisey hobbit at elyograg.org
Thu Jul 30 00:34:07 CEST 2015

On 7/29/2015 12:33 PM, J.C. Cleaver wrote:
> I'll see if there's any shortcut that can be performed here, but I don't
> believe this will be that easy to fix with the current architecture. (We
> would also probably need for enforce an alternating
> send/expect/send/expect syntax in the config as a result.)

Based on the behavior, I figured the engine was pretty simple and a fix
probably would involve some significant work, possibly a complete redesign.

SMTP is a protocol that is specifically designed to NOT work with the
brute force approach, and I think that the current protocol engine can't
do much beyond brute force.

If Henrik is already working on a redesigned network protocol engine,
then there's not much more to be said, except to wish him the best of
luck with it.

Thanks,
Shawn