[Xymon] Truncated Email Alerts

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Jan 16 21:36:38 CET 2015

On Fri, January 16, 2015 9:06 am, Bert Willekens wrote:
> Hi
>
> We're formatting a few status messages as HTML and we are using the perl
> HTML script from Andy France/Martin Ward/David Baldwin.
> Our mails kept getting truncated at around 4000 characters.
>
> After looking around in the source code (do_alert.c) I found out that the
> variable passed to the SCRIPT alert type is limited to 4096 characters.
> I increased the value to 12288 and recompiled the xymond_alert binary.
> After replacing it in our production system the script now receives the
> complete status message.
>
> Why can we configure the MAXMSG size for status messages but is the status
> truncated to 4KB?
> I'm wondering if there's any harm in upping the MAX_ALERTMSG_SCRIPTS
> value. Memory? Stabililty?

Since the data's being passed via environment variable, a safety limit is
definitely a good idea, but modern systems should be able to exceed 4k
easily enough, so I don't think you'd see any negative effects going up a
bit higher.

I'd agree, it'd be preferable to set this via environment variable. Even
better would be a SCRIPT-like directive that takes the status/page message
body via STDIN instead.

Regards,

-jc