[Xymon] Two servers from one agent

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Sat Feb 7 07:49:12 CET 2015

On Fri, February 6, 2015 4:07 am, Jeremy Laidman wrote:
> If you define XYMSRV=0.0.0.0 and use XYMSERVERS to list the two Xymon
> servers, then my understanding is that the client will send client data to
> both, in the order listed, and then keep the config from the last one.
> This is on a UNIX client, and I don't know if it's the same for BBWin.
> Also, I might have imagined it for the UNIX client, and I can't find any
> evidence to support my memory.
>
> I would say, test it and see.  Please report back what you find.

> On 31 January 2015 at 02:08, Neil Simmonds <neilsimmonds1808 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I’ve got a requirement to run an agent reporting to 2 separate
>> servers.
>> It’s a BBWin agent and is actually on a server belonging to our
>> partner
>> company but because we support that particular system we need it to
>> report
>> to our Xymon server as well as theirs. We run all our agents in Central
>> mode so I’m wondering what the implications of that are when sending
>> to 2
>> servers like this.

On the Unix client this is correct, and nearly all bits of the xymon code
base will work this way. Messages can be classified either as "send to
all", "send to all, but only display returned data from the last server",
or "only send to the last server."

Raw client messages fall into the middle catagory, so this should work as
expected for you - at least if it were the unix client.

Hopefully BBWin works similarly, but I can't say for certain. If it
doesn't one option would be to set up a xymonproxy service and send your
singular client report to that. When configured with multiple destination
servers, it should function as you've desired here.

HTH,

-jc