[Xymon] Xymon notifcations disappear due to base64 encoding

Bill Arlofski waa-hobbitml at revpol.com
Thu Feb 5 18:47:25 CET 2015

On 02/05/2015 08:40 AM, Mark Felder wrote:
> I warn you this (probably) isn't exactly what you're looking for, but
> I've stopped using the SMS email gateways due to reliability issues and
> when things are really going bad -- rate limiting. Instead I've moved to
> sending my notifications through Pushover.net which sends (fast!!) push
> notifications to phones.
>
> You can send messages two ways: their email gateway, or write a
> notification script that uses their REST api. It's very simple. I wrote
> this in a few minutes and haven't looked back.

Hi Mark... Thanks for that recommendation re: pushover.net

I have suffered for _years_ with the AT&T (now Frontier) email-to-sms gateway.
Using the AT&T email gateway, Xymon notifications get mixed in with other txt
messages because each message sent via their gateway is

From: ${SomeEverIncreasingNumber}

So I can not set a filter on a phone number, or username and have a different
notification tone for Xymon messages.

Pushover currently has a limited number of notification tones, but that is OK
because I can have my xymon alert tell Pushover which to send so I can always
know if I got a txt or a Xymon alert now.

Still waiting on my first Xymon->Pushover alert, but this looks promising to
me and my sanity.  lol

Bill

--
Bill Arlofski