[Xymon] Hello... again!

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Feb 3 18:23:55 CET 2015

Hello all!

First off, I'd like to thank Henrik once again for his amazing work on the
Xymon project. It's rare to see a monitoring system (or any sort of
software) be able to stand the test of time the way bbgen and Hobbit/Xymon
has. It's a testament to the sound architecture that Henrik has built, and
the solid Big Brother concepts before it, that the project has succeeded
and can scale flexibly to meet such a wide variety of needs.

For me, it's been a long journey! I can still remember my first exposure
all those years ago to the "blinkenlights" web page -- set up by the
grizzled Unix veteran at my university -- which provided a quick
status-at-a-glance of all the important boxes throughout the campus
network, and being fascinated by it. Having subsequently used BB, bbgen,
and Hobbit/Xymon in various capacities as a system administrator and
engineer throughout the years, I'm excited to be able to help ensure the
project continues to thrive!

The first order of business will be the official 4.3.18 release, landing
shortly, with the recent security CVE addressed. Following that, I
envision a segment of important bugfixes and quality-of-life improvement
submissions, followed by a period of stabilization and continued feature
development.

I look forward to working with everyone in this new capacity!

Best Regards,

Japheth "J.C." Cleaver