[Xymon] Temperature plugin for xymon

Richard Hamilton rlhamil2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 10:10:13 CET 2015

Depending on the OS and/or hardware, no two server models (let alone
manufacturers) necessarily provide that info in the same way, so you
probably have to be a LOT more specific; and that's probably why there's no
one magic script to answer the question for all systems!

Suns are definitely different by model; some will show that as ok/not ok in
prtdiag output (with the easy option of just checking the prtdiag return
code - if it's non-zero, something is not right; that's as opposed to
parsing a format that varies by model).  Some won't show temperature at
all, but leave it to the LOM or SC to monitor the environment.  Some that
show ok/not ok won't show the actual temperature.  For example: my Sun
Blade 100 shows actual temps, ok/not ok, and even the thresholds; while my
Sun Blade 2000 and T5240 (on the control LDOM) only show ok/not ok.  (I
recall others that don't show anything on the domain, but those weren't
mine, and I'm retired now, so I can't check.)

Intel Macs seem to keep temp info in their "SMC" (and a "smc" command-line
utility bundled with smcfancontrol can read that in raw form), but vary by
model as to the number of sensors and four character keys assigned to them
(which are probably not fully documented anywhere outside of Apple, if even
there).

I have three different models each of Suns and Macs @ home.  Anything else
I have (Linux, Windows, etc) is NOT running on bare metal, and so will not
have temperature reports for me to look at and see how they might appear.