[Xymon] xymonnet yellow alarm

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Dec 11 19:16:02 CET 2015

On Fri, December 11, 2015 5:05 am, Francois Claire wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Is there a way to configure the number of seconds where xymonnet will
> start to do a yellow alarm ?
>
> I can't find anything...
>
> I remember it was doing yellow alarms only if time to execute all tests
> is greater than 300 seconds. It seems it's now 20 seconds on my xymon
> server 4.3.21-4.el7.terabithia.
>

> Any hint is welcome.

Hi Francois,

The xymonnet test itself will go yellow if its overall runtime exceeds the
interval it's configured to execute at (according to xymonlaunch -- passed
down via a $TASKSLEEP environment variable to any process which is
executed at INTERVALs in tasks.cfg). xymonlaunch won't kill xymonnet if it
takes longer, but it also won't launch it again until it finishes, so it's
sort of a warning that your polling interval is not executing at the
frequency desired.

With xymonnet it's usually not effective to have it below the maximum
--timeout value you're using for tests, since if there's anything
unreachable it's going to cause the entire cycle to be delayed until that
timeout happens.

In the event there's a large network break or switch issue and you have a
LOT of TCP (or worse, UDP) services down, xymonnet can end up taking
longer than expected if your --concurrency=N isn't large enough to handle
all the timeouts happening at once. It may be helpful to increase that
value to handle a maximum "reasonable" simultaneous outage situation.

HTH,
-jc