[Xymon] layout of terabithia xymon client

Root, Paul T Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Tue Dec 8 22:48:27 CET 2015

The readme file was conveniently deleted. Part of obfuscation of the old admin.

-----Original Message-----
From: J.C. Cleaver [mailto:cleaver at terabithia.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 3:21 PM
To: Root, Paul T
Subject: Re: [Xymon] layout of terabithia xymon client

On Tue, December 8, 2015 12:39 pm, Root, Paul T wrote:
> I've recently inherited supporting a xymon network where the old admin use
> the terabithia rpms.
>
> I've spent most of the day looking for a particular test for a particular
> client. I finally found the script  in /usr/share/xymon-client/sections
> directory.
>
> I can't find where that gets called from? Is this a normal terabithia
> layout? Where does it get invoked?

Hi,

Yes, that's part of the normal layout in the RPMs:
[root at localhost /]# rpm -qa xymon | xargs -r rpm -ql | grep /sections
/usr/share/xymon-client/sections
/usr/share/xymon-client/sections/README
/usr/share/xymon-client/sections/ipcs
etc..

It's analogous to the "/local" directory
(https://sourceforge.net/p/xymon/code/6800/) in that it's called by the
xymonclient.sh script after the standard ${OS} processing is done, but
before the final logfetch stuff is completed.

It's intended as a spot for drop-in additions to the clientlog data going
back without having to modify xymonclient.sh itself.

The only difference between "/local/" and "/sections/" is that executables
in /local/ come back in "[local:NAME]" client sections, and /sections/
ones are just "[NAME]"

The intent is that packagers (for distros or for add-ons) can place things
into "/sections/", while custom per-host stuff goes into "/local/" and
they don't conflict. (Sort of like the vendordir/sitedir/localdir
distinction for some language plugins.)

There are copies of the README in /usr/share/doc/xymon-client*/ also.

"/sections/" was a Terabithia add, but it'll be in 4.4 too:
https://sourceforge.net/p/xymon/code/7755/

HTH,

-jc

This communication is the property of CenturyLink and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the communication and any attachments.