[Xymon] host with multiple addresses, not all active or known in advance

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon Aug 31 04:22:27 CEST 2015

Richard

Are you trying to find a way for your Xymon server to send network test
packets to your laptop?  Or are you wanting your laptop's
disk/cpu/memory/etc resources to show on the Xymon server?

I'm not familiar with "back to my mac".

One challenge you have is that client messages are going to be rejected
unless the IP address is in hosts.cfg, and if you're travelling, you
probably won't have a static IP address on your laptop.  Another challenge
is being able to locate your router, which may have a moving IP(v6) address.

If you're able to do dynamic DNS to register a name for your laptop, and if
you can ssh from your Xymon server to your laptop while on the road, then
you have a few options available to you.  One option is to ssh in as the
xymon user with a reverse tunnel, setup XYMSRV as 127.0.0.1, and XYMONDPORT
as the reverse tunnel port, and then run ~xymon/client/bin/xymonclient.sh.
Another option is to use xymon-rclient, which doesn't even need the xymon
client installed (although it doesn't support some features):
http://tools.rebel-it.com.au/xymon-rclient/.

HTH

Cheers
Jeremy