[Xymon] Xymon has stopped updating

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Apr 29 16:18:22 CEST 2015

On Wed, April 29, 2015 2:03 am, Yanni wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I have noticed some strange behaviour lately with Xymon. The main page
> gets stuck and does not update itself.
> At the moment it's stuck on the 28th of April. Last time it happened I
> realised it after 4 days.
>
> The only fix is to reboot the xymon server. I can't see anything in the
> log files. All I see is the xymon service getting restarted.
> Any suggestions please? If you have any ideas please let me know.
>
> Many thanks
> Yanni

The symptom itself could be caused by a number of things. First and
foremost, it's needed to be known if xymon itself is still up and running.
Does xymond respond to a 'xymon localhost "ping"' command? is anything
showing up in the xymond.log file (or any of the log files)?

If nothing is running, check xymonlaunch.log for a reason it might have
been killed, or at least the timing if it crashed (which it shouldn't).

If processes *are* running and network processing is happening, then it's
possible something's happened with xymongen (the process that writes out
the static HTML files).

One way to validate this is to check an individual host status page, e.g.
http://your.server.addr/xymon-cgi/svcstatus.sh?HOST=<yourservername>&SERVICE=disk
. If that pulls up current data, but the "main page" is four days old then
there's definitely an issue with xymongen.

If so, check xymongen.log and permissions in your /www/ directory --
xymongen normally is running as the xymon user, so a one-time manual run
as root might leave things with the automated process unable to overwrite
them. If all else fails, add "--debug" to the XYMONGENOPTS line in
xymonserver.cfg (or just edit the line directly in tasks.cfg) and see a)
that it's running and b) where any errors are shown.

HTH,

-jc