[Xymon] xymon-snmpcollect - state ? xymond_channel worker needed for trending ?

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu Apr 16 04:39:35 CEST 2015

On 16 April 2015 at 06:16, Steve <steve at nerdynomads.net> wrote:

> Sorry for the replying to an old message, but seems there hasn't been any
> recent discussion of snmp polling.

I'm glad to see there's interest in trying this out.  I've been
disheartened after previous comments by Henrik, but totally understand that
there are higher priorities like IPv6.

I believe I have everything working perfectly with 4.3.18, I see clientdata
> coming in on my test switch and I am collecting data on the [ifmib]
> definition in "server/etc/snmpmibs.cfg".

Good news.  This is encouraging.

Would you mind showing a sample of the relevant client data you're
receiving?

> What I don't have is trending on that data. I am assuming that is because
> the data is coming in under to xymon via "client" message versus a "data"
> message.

Yep, it's the same collection/processing mechanism as per host client
messages.  In such cases, xymond_client will parse the client data and
generate both status and data messages based on what it finds.

> To get trends, I assume I could write a xymond_channel worker listening on
> the client channel and using a filter option to target only "snmpcollect"
> messages. This would process the raw data, and submit the data I want to
> trend on via "data" messages ?

This shouldn't be necessary.  There's a client definition for "snmpcollect"
messages, so the existing xymond_client process should create data and
status messages.

Or am I just to bogged in the details and missing something obvious ?
> Thanks,

The code in xymond/client/snmpcollect.c doesn't generate any "data"
messages, only "status" messages.  So don't expect anything on the trends
page.

Instead, status messages should appear, which should create their own
columns.  The column name will be the "mibname" which I'm guessing is the
[sectionname] in snmpmibs.cfg.

There's code in the RRD processing (xymond/do_rrd.c) that looks for MIB
data being passed from calling functions, but there doesn't seem to be any
glue between snmpcollect.c and this code.  Or could be that I just haven't
found it yet.