[Xymon] Xymon PS Client

Brandon Dale BDale at kitchengroup.com.au
Wed Apr 8 04:57:19 CEST 2015

Might be a better way but this is how I do it (my external scripts are written in PowerShell however)

1. I put http://sourceforge.net/p/xymon/code/HEAD/tree/sandbox/WinPSClient/xymonsend.ps1 onto each server inside the same directory as the PowerShell client

2. I dot source this into my external scripts (which I normally store in c:\xymon\ext to keep it simple) and use it to send the status messages to xymon.

3. Run these as scheduled tasks in windows.

From the readme:

"Talking to the Xymon Server

===========================

The "xymonsend.ps1" script contains a PowerShell function "XymonSend"

that lets you communicate with the Xymon server in the same way that

the "bb" utility does on the Unix platforms. To use it, you must

"source" this into your PowerShell commandline window: At the "PS"

prompt, enter

                PS C:\xymon> . .\xymonsend.ps1

.."

Here's an example of how I use it -  pointless script to test if c:\windows exists and send the result to xymon (but you get the idea). It will display as the column “customtest” for the host “testserver01”

$date=get-date -format "ddd MMM dd HH':'mm':'ss zzz yyyy"

$DELAY="+10m"

$xymonserver="xymon01"

$machine="testserver01"

$column="Customtest"

#test logic

if(Test-Path c:\windows){

    $colour="green"

    $msg="&green ALL OK!"

    } else {

    $colour="red"

    $msg="&red world is ending"

    }

#send to xymon server

. c:\xymon\xymonsend.ps1

xymonsend "status$delay $machine.$column $colour $date

$msg

" "$xymonserver"

Then schedule that in windows to run however often you want, you need to set the delay to a value longer than then the interval between each run of your schedule task to avoid it going purple.

Regards,

Brandon