[Xymon] Is there a reason why the httpstatus test is case sensitive?

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Wed Apr 1 19:58:57 CEST 2015

On 4/1/2015 9:47 AM, J.C. Cleaver wrote:

> On Wed, April 1, 2015 10:07 am, John Thurston wrote:
>> Yesterday, I crashed xymonnet by doing a copy/paste into an httpstatus
>> test. I eventually figured out what was wrong.
>>
>> This syntax is good:
>>     0.0.0.0  foo.com   # httpstatus;http://foo.com/index.html;401
>> This syntax is bad:
>>     0.0.0.0  foo.com   # httpstatus;HTTP://foo.com/index.html;401
>>
>> The man page for hosts.cfg doesn't say anything about required or
>> supported casing. Is there some reason why xymonnet shouldn't be able to
>> handle mixed-case protocol names in the URLs provided?
>>

> John,
>

> Can't think of any... Case preservation should be done for the path, but
> the protocol is irrelevant there. https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt
> calls it out as a 'should', so it seems like a bug (I believe parse_url()
> in lib/url.c). I'll roll this in.
>
> Curious, did you get any sort of error log output before it went down?
> Aside from case-insensitive matching, it's an indication we're not doing
> sufficient error checking later on somewhere.

Yes. I received:
  2015-03-31 14:39:34 Unknown URL scheme 'HTTP' in URL 'HTTP://foo.com:9080'

which looks like it comes from lib/url.c following a case-sensitive
match of startp against a list of possible types.

Thanks for your quick attention.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services