[Xymon] client-local.cfg ignore a complicated line - syntax issue?

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Sep 12 10:20:23 CEST 2014

Betsy

On 12 September 2014 13:00, Betsy Schwartz <betsy.schwartz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been playing around with variations like
> log:/appdata/logserver/local7.log:102400 IGNORE
> (apcontroller|cli.WARNING|cli.NOTICE)
> or
> log:/appdata/logserver/local7.log:102400 IGNORE
> apcontroller|cli.WARNING|cli.NOTICE
> or
> log:/appdata/logserver/local7.log:102400 IGNORE=
> (apcontroller|cli.WARNING|cli.NOTICE)
> or

None of those is going to work because you're using PCREs but you haven't
told Xymon that they're PCREs with the percent.

> log:/appdata/logserver/local7.log:102400
> IGNORE=%(?-i)apcontroller|cli.WARNING|cli.NOTICE

This should work.  I tested it with pcregrep against your log message and
it matched, meaning it should have ignored it.

> and even
> log:/appdata/logserver/local7.log:102400 IGNORE apcontroller

I would expect this to work too, but the man page for client-local.cfg says
that the pattern "is a regular expression" and so it might not match this
without the "%".  Have you tried just "IGNORE %apcontroller"?

> Please, what is the syntax I need for this? Or is this a problem because
> it's a complicated line containing so many special sorts of characters?

This shouldn't matter.  It might, but it shouldn't.