[Xymon] Quirky behavior

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Oct 29 22:36:29 CET 2014

On 30/10/2014 5:48 AM, "Ralph Mitchell" <ralphmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:

> In xymon-4.3.12 it sends the client-local block for the hostname, if it
is defined OR the block for the OS, correct??

I haven't installed anything after 4.3.10, so it might have changed, but I
suspect not.

> Not a blend of the two, with host-specific entries overriding the generic
entries, right??

Yes, a single block (from client-local.conf), not a blend.

> Does that change in a later release? I need a better way to manage it...

I've started using includes to better structure my config.  For example, I
can define a generic web server block in a separate file called
client-local.apache.conf, and a separate file for postfix mail servers
called client-local.pfx.conf. Also ones for OS-specific features. Then my
client-local.conf looks like:

[sunos]
include client-local.sunos.conf

[hostname1.example.com]
include client-local.sunos.conf
include client-local.pfx.conf
include client-local.apache.conf

Some built-in way of blending blocks would be nice, but I suspect there's
no single solution that would suit everybody, without becoming complicated,
which wouldn't suit me.