[Xymon] rrd logs and graphs

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 04:43:53 CET 2014

Hi all

Am busy trying to investigate a curious problem with rrd graphs, and I
stumbled on something else I don't understand, and was hoping somebody out
there could help.

As part of my investigation, I added --debug to the [rrdstatus] and
[rrddata] entries on the server tasks.cfg
And the logs started showing heaps of the message
2014-11-14 10:41:36 Peer not up, flushing message queue
What is that?
It doesn't look right to me.

I might as well explain why I am doing this.
I am running an experimental script, zresources.ksh
Its supposed to allow me to graph the resources being used by individual
zones on Solaris.
Here's part of the code
$XYMON $XYMSRV "status $MACHINE.zmem green $(date) $OUT "
$XYMON $XYMSRV "data $MACHINE.zmem $COLOR $(echo; cat "$TEMPFILE.mem"
;echo;echo)"
$XYMON $XYMSRV "data $MACHINE.zcpu $COLOR $(echo; cat "$TEMPFILE.cpu"
;echo;echo)"
$XYMON $XYMSRV "data $MACHINE.zswap $COLOR $(echo; cat "$TEMPFILE.swap"
;echo;echo)"
echo $XYMON $XYMSRV "status $MACHINE.zmem green $(date) $OUT "
echo $XYMON $XYMSRV "data $MACHINE.zmem $COLOR $(echo; cat "$TEMPFILE.mem"
;echo;echo)"
echo $XYMON $XYMSRV "data $MACHINE.zcpu $COLOR $(echo; cat "$TEMPFILE.cpu"
;echo;echo)"
echo $XYMON $XYMSRV "data $MACHINE.zswap $COLOR $(echo; cat
"$TEMPFILE.swap" ;echo;echo)"
cat $TEMPFILE.swap
cat $TEMPFILE.cpu
cat $TEMPFILE.mem
The first 4 lines are "real" and the rest I added for debug.
It's supposed to send data containing the zone names, and the amount of
resources it's using.
global : 293
zone1 : 575
zone2 : 899
zone3 : 754
All good, it makes nice pretty graphs and what have you. And I expect and
get rrd files as follows
zmem,global.rrd zcpu,global.rrd zswap,global.rrd
zmem,zone1.rrd zcpu,zone.rrd zswap,zone1.rrd
etc.etc.

Except every now and then, I get something like
zmem,c2t0d1.rrd
I get others too, like zmem,rmt_0 and sometimes even with database SIDs
too. And not just for zmem, for zcpu and zswap with about equal frequency.
And often, the database SID is not even a database running on that host!
I look inside the rrd file, with rrdtool dump, and there will usualy be
only a single data point.
Looking in the client logs, which contains the output of the debug code
above, there is no indication that the client ever sent any data using
anything else but the zone names.
So where are these spurious data points coming from?

Has anybody seen anything like this?

Regards
Vernon

--
"Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory"
- General George Patton