[Xymon] Using Xymon to get client info

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Nov 11 21:30:37 CET 2014

On Mon, November 10, 2014 7:41 pm, Jersey Man wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to use Xymon client to get software information from the
> server its running on. For example, Java version, openssl version etc and
> also our custom application information. I can write a script in .../local
> and it shows up in the client data on the server but how to do I use it. I
> would ideally like to see if I can stick it into the 'info' column but
> adding it as another column would be fine too.. I tried to scour Google
> but couldnt really find anything..

For these purposes, think of xymon as a more generic communications bus.
If you have a custom script in ../local/ and it already throws data into
the client message, you can retrieve it with the "clientlog" command:

[root at rhel6-x86-64 /]# xymon localhost "clientlog rhel6-x86-64.build
section=uptime"
[uptime]
 12:27:53 up 20 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.02

If you want to make individual use of the data, a client listener which,
similar to xymond_client, takes client messages, evaluates with your own
logic, and generates status messages for re-injection back into xymond, is
your simplest bet. Alternatively, you can perform lots of clientlog
queries and read data back in that way.

HTH,

-jc