[Xymon] xymond crashing ~23 hours or so in do_message

Clark, Sean sean.clark at twcable.com
Mon May 12 19:53:43 CEST 2014

I am running the latest RH5 32-bit version of JC Cleaver’s excellent packages – however, it is crashing with a sig abrt every day or so, and core dumping.

I put on version of xymond that had debugging symbols to make it easier to read, and analyzed the core files

It looks to crash on  compiling “trends-test” for a host,  when a remote host sends “xymondboard”

The sigabort comes from —>           response = newstrbuffer(lastboardsize);   in the code

One example:

#6  0x08055f4f in do_message (msg=0x7a7cabc0, origin=0x8073d54 "", can_respond=1) at xymond.c:4006
        hosthandle = <value optimized out>
        lwalk = <value optimized out>
        firstlog = <value optimized out>
        trendstest = {name = 0x22988 <Address 0x22988 out of bounds>, clientsave = 123}
        infotest = {name = 0xbff5b336 "info", clientsave = 0}
        logfields = 0x2dbb1e80
        havehostfilter = 0
        fields = 0x6a5568f “hostname,testname"

Another:

#6  0x08055f4f in do_message (msg=0x8bddbad0, origin=0x8073d54 "", can_respond=1) at xymond.c:4006
        hosthandle = <value optimized out>
        lwalk = <value optimized out>
        firstlog = <value optimized out>
        trendstest = {name = 0x208b8 <Address 0x208b8 out of bounds>, clientsave = 123}
        infotest = {name = 0xbfefb336 "info", clientsave = 0}
        logfields = 0x13fb0008
        havehostfilter = 0
        fields = 0x5889672 “hostname,testname,color,acktime,disabletime,cookie,ackmsg,dismsg,lastchange,line1"

And a third:

#6  0x08055f4f in do_message (msg=0x8001c4c0, origin=0x8073d54 "", can_respond=1) at xymond.c:4006
        hosthandle = <value optimized out>
        lwalk = <value optimized out>
        firstlog = <value optimized out>
        trendstest = {name = 0x20d40 <Address 0x20d40 out of bounds>, clientsave = 123}
        infotest = {name = 0xbfd4d336 "info", clientsave = 0}
        logfields = 0x7debb8f8
        havehostfilter = 0
        fields = 0x8630217 "hostname,testname"

I guess what I am asking is, what are my next steps? Henrik, or JC (or anyone who knows C well) have any ideas?

I’ve attached the full core file analysis log files to this message, if that helps, but I don’t know exactly how to proceed.

If the origin was just one host, I would think it’s some bad thing happening from the one host, but these three crashes all came from communications from three different hosts, with different field requests to xymondboard

Let me know

-Sean