[Xymon] Xymon master - slave Setup

Root, Paul T Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Wed May 7 18:52:41 CEST 2014

So you enable xymond_distribute on the master with the –peer=<address>. And the address being your slave’s ipaddress.

Can your master connect to your xymon port on the slave? That is port 1984 by default.
Test that with telnet <slave> 1984

Also look at the log file for distribute. Proably  $XYMONSERVERLOGS/distribute.log

Also, DO NOT remove the entire mailing list from these emails. I don’t know everything, and am often too busy to answer things like this. I assume someone else on the list (often much smarter than me) will pick up the thread.

From: Eli [mailto:eliap09 at yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 10:28 AM
To: Root, Paul T
Subject: Re: [Xymon] Xymon master - slave Setup

Thanks much Paul for feed back so what is the relation with " distribute" I have enabled it set my second xymon as peer but nothing happen keep getting error " peer not found" I can ping and telnet each other but not sure how xymon talk to the peer. Any idea?
Again thanks for your time.

"Root, Paul T" <Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com<mailto:Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com>> wrote:
The secondary machine should have the same hosts.cfg and analysis.cfg. The primaries alerts.cfg should be copied periodically (whenever changed), to the secondary as something like alerts.cfg.primary.

Then the secondary has an alerts.cfg file that has one entry in it. And that entry just watches the primary:

HOST=xymon1 COLOR=red SERVICE=bbd,conn DURATION>2
        SCRIPT /usr/local/scripts/xymSecondaryTakeOver $NG-IM-ONCALL
        MAIL $NG-IM-ADMIN

The script needs to copy the primaries into place.

Of course you’ll need another entry in the primary’s alerts.cfg file for the secondary to release when the primary is back online.

HOST=xymon1 COLOR=red SERVICE=bbd,conn
        SCRIPT /usr/local/scripts/xymSecondaryRelease $NG-IM-ONCALL
        MAIL $NG-IM-ADMIN

Which copies the secondary alerts.cfg file back in place.

That’s the basics. Other things to think about, is the two talking to each other when you disable or acknowledge alerts. Are your monitored systems going to send to both machines or just one, and the one works as a proxy. How you keep files in sync, etc.

In our system, the secondary is actually a proxy server. It can get to some systems the primary can’t get to directly. And there are a few systems the primary can get to that the proxy can’t.

Paul.