[Xymon] Service smtp on hostname is not OK : Unexpected service response

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon Mar 31 04:32:33 CEST 2014

On 29 March 2014 06:09, Wilcox, Theodore A -FS <tawilcox at fs.fed.us> wrote:

> Oops, it turned yellow again.  I didn't wait long enough.  So commenting
> out the  line beginning with "expect" in addition  turned them green

Could be that you won't notice when if fails also.  What I would do is to
work out the required send/expect strings to get it working correctly.  A
tcpdump, as suggested by Henrik, would be a good start.

Do you have the "banner" keyword defined for [smtp] in protocols.cfg?  If
you do (and it's the default) then you should see the message that comes
back from the server in the "smtp" status page.  This string is what would
be matched against the expect string.  If the banner doesn't include "220"
anywhere, then that's the reason it's failing, and what it shows instead
could be useful in working out what's wrong.

Or try this one-liner and see what comes back:

{ printf "mail\r\nquit\r\n"; sleep 1; } | telnet mail.cdn.telstra.com.au 25