[Xymon] Log file monitoring

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Mar 14 23:13:53 CET 2014

On 4 March 2014 00:17, Neil Simmonds <neilsimmonds1808 at gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I can see there is no built in way in Xymon to monitor a log for
> the number of times a string has occurred in a specified time period.

Sure there is.  From the client-local.cfg file comments:

#   "linecount:FILENAME"
#       Monitor the text-based logfile FILENAME, but just
#       count the number of times certain expressions appear.
#       This processes the entire file every time. It must
#       be followed by one or more lines with
#   "KEYWORD PATTERN"
#       KEYWORD identifies this count. You can use any string
#       except whitespace. PATTERN is a regular expression
#       that you want to search for in the file.

I use this to monitor the count of "xfer-in" and "xfer-out" messages on my
DNS servers.  There's already a graphs.cfg definition called [lines] that
presents them nicely in a graph.