[Xymon] Can't clear ghost clients

Wed Mar 12 05:56:52 CET 2014

On 12/03/14 15:04, Kris Springer wrote:

> I've got 6 ghost clients listed on my server webpage.  I have a clean
> hosts.cfg file that definitely does not contain any of the names in
> the ghost list.  The ghost names are from many months ago when I first
> setup the server.  I've since change the names.  I've attempted to
> clear the ghosts using the following commands but it doesn't clear
> anything.  Buzzard is one of the hostnames in question.
>
> #cd /usr/lib/xymon/server/bin
>
> #xymon 127.0.0.1 "drop Buzzard"
>
> Anyone have a clue as to how to clear old ghosts and/or where to find
> the pesky files that are causing it?

ghosts are there *because* you do not have them in your config file.
They are "generated" by clients reporting status with that name. You
should be able to determine where these reports are coming from based on
the names and/or source information on the ghost report. If the client
stops reporting, it will be removed from the ghost report after 5
minutes (I assume this is actually the timeout value of the status which
is usually 5 minutes).

Worst case, you can firewall port 1984 to block the incoming status
reports, or use tcpdump to determine where they are coming from.

Hope this is useful/helpful.

Regards,
Adam
--