[Xymon] XYmon in a DMZ

Gautier Begin gbegin at csc.com
Tue Mar 11 10:32:12 CET 2014

Hello,

You get it. To monitor with XYMON a special network zone, you have to use
the XYMON proxy.

To install it:
A.\     Install a XYMON server.
B.\     Change its task.cfg file as follow:
        * DISABLE the xymond  (daemon fr the XYMONserver)
        * Enable xymonproxy (proxy XYMON), xymonnet (ping and nework test)
and xymonclient (local XYMONclient)

[xymond]
        DISABLED

[xymonproxy]
        ENVFILE <xymon_path>/etc/xymonserver.cfg
        CMD $XYMONHOME/bin/xymonproxy --server=YOUR.XYMON.SERVER.IP
--report=$MACHINE.xymonproxy --no-daemon
--pidfile=$XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymonproxy.pid
        LOGFILE $XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymonproxy.log

[xymonnet]
        ENVFILE  <xymon_path>/etc/xymonserver.cfg
        CMD xymonnet --report --ping --checkresponse
        LOGFILE $XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymonnet.log
        INTERVAL 5m

C.\      Modify/check the hosts.cfg on both xymon proxy and xymon server.
                On the xymon proxy, indicate the list of the targets of
the "special network zone" you want to monitor
                On the xymon server, indicate the list of the targets of
the "special network zone" you want to monitor with the noconn tag at the
end. This disable the ping from the xymon server. It will be done from the
the xymon server by the xymonnet process. Don't do it for the xymon proxy
itself.

D.\     Configure your agents in your "special network zone" to send data
to the xymon proxy.

E.\     Configure your FW to enable these flows:
                - xymonproxy -----> xymonserver:1984 (TCP)
                - xymonserver -----> xymonproxy (ICMP)

F.\ Start your xymonproxy the same way you do for a xymon server.

G.\ Enjoy !!  - Rq: Data on communication flow are shown in the the
xymonproxy xymon test.

Cordialement, Regards,Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Gautier BEGIN

CSC • This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the
mistake in delivery.  NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not
operate to bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to
explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting
the use of e-mail for such purpose
CSC Computer Sciences SAS • Registered Office: Immeuble Le Balzac, 10
Place des Vosges, 92072 Paris La Défense Cedex, France • Registered in
France: RCS Nanterre B 315 268 664