[Xymon] Why Xymon?

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Wed Jun 4 15:52:34 CEST 2014

On 2014-06-04 07:20, Gore, David W (David) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are being asked "Why Xymon?". We have some answers but I was hoping
> someone else may have been more eloquent and articulate than myself in
> defending the use of Xymon. Perhaps you could share your wisdom?

If you have 1000 servers that are all identical and all need the exact
same services monitored you will find that Nagios, Zabbix, etc are very
well fit for this task. It is very easy to define monitoring parameters,
apply that to a group, and add all your servers to this group.

If you have 1000 servers and they all have unique monitoring
requirements you will find yourself tearing our your hair in frustration
trying to set them up on Nagios, Zabbic, etc. Especially if you're using
Zabbix you'll quickly need to replace your mouse as it will run out of
clicks just about the time you are diagnosed with carpal tunnel.

Xymon is quite possibly the most flexible and easy to manage monitoring
solution I've seen so far. It often gets overlooked or chided because it
doesn't have a fancy web interface with the latest HTML5 and node.js and
whatever else the kids these days think they need to spice up their text
documents, but it scales very well and won't let you down.

And for those that do have 1000 servers which are all identical -- the
Xymon syntax is simple enough you could easily automate hosts.cfg and
analysis.cfg entries if needed.