[Xymon] inode test fails after change in showgraph

henrik at hswn.dk henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Jan 9 12:01:46 CET 2014

Den 09.01.2014 10:12, W.J.M. Nelis skrev:
>> It is the xymond_client module that generates the inode status, not
>> xymond_rrd or showgraph.cgi. So if that binary is unchanged, then I
>> don't really understand why it would stop generating an inode status.
>>
>> Are there any notices in xymond.log (or the xymond status page) of
>> status messages being dropped, e.g. from ghost clients?
> No, there are no messages about dropped status messages in
> xymond.log. The history of xymond status contains only messages about
> unrelated problems.
>

>> I suppose the other status messages (cpu, disk, memory etc) are
>> still working fine?
> Yes, those tests are working fine.

I wonder if inode checks has somehow been disabled. If you go to where
you compiled Xymon, then in the xymon-4.3.X/lib directory there is a
"loadhosts" binary. This is a debug module. Could you try running

    cd xymon-4.3.12/lib
    ./loadhosts @ <hostname>
    Pick item: XMH_HOSTNAME
       ... should show the hostname ...
    Pick item: XMH_NOCOLUMNS
       ... should say 'XMH_NOCOLUMNS not found' ...

If it lists "inode" in XMH_NOCOLUMNS, then that is the problem.

If not, then try doing "kill -USR2 <pid of xymond_client>" - this
toggles the debugging flag in xymond_client. It will start logging  a
lot of output to clientdata.log - does it show any messages with "Inode
check" ?

You can turn off the debugging with the same kill-command.