[Xymon] xymon client in 'local' mode, build pain

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Feb 11 02:47:50 CET 2014

On 2/10/2014 12:19 PM, Henrik Størner wrote:

> The attached diff against 4.3.16 works here, I have committed it for
> 4.3.17 if I need to do such a release.

Thank you for your work on this.

> John, I think this should also resolve the problems you've been having
> getting a client built the way you tried. To apply it, save the attached
> file somewhere, then go to the xymon-4.3.16 directory and run "cat
> /tmp/clientbuild.diff | patch -p0".

Chuckle. I spent an hour trying to learn why the diff would not apply. I
was looking for differences between patch and gpatch and which version
my Solaris has. It hadn't occurred to me that I would need to dos2unix
your patch file :) Once I did that, gpatch happily consumed and applied it.

I had to do a couple more things to make this client build work for me.
(I say 'work', but I have not yet run the client to confirm it works as
expected. I have only built it without errors.)

1) The configure.client uses build/pcre.sh to locate the required pcre
libraries. It does not, however, recognize the --pcreinclude --pcrelib
options recognized by the configure.server file. Since I built the pcre
libraries just for this application (and put them in xymon/pcre), I need
to tell pcre.sh where to find them. I modified configure.client by
inserting the parameter splitting block from configure.server.

2) clientMakefile looks up a group for use with chgrp -R.
This failed, so I inserted > IDTOOL := $(shell if test `uname -s` =
"SunOS"; then echo /usr/xpg4/bin/id; else echo id; fi)
at the top of the file.

Tomorrow, I'll see if the client can actually talk to the Xymon server.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration