[Xymon] Ping multiple IP addresses by name

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Sat Feb 1 00:18:22 CET 2014

One of my hosts is multi-homed and I'd like to perform a ping test
against both interfaces. Each interface has its own IP address and its
own name. I'd like to avoid embedding ip addresses in my hosts.cfg.

I've been able to get close to the behavior I want with:
   0.0.0.0  foo.bar.com  # conn=worst,1.2.3.4
but, of course, I have just embedded an IP address in my file

I'd really like to refer to the second interface by its own name. It
seems to ruin xymonnet to make the line look like:
   0.0.0.0  foo.bar.com  # conn=worst,goo.bar.com
The conn result-page stops updating (even if I remove the name from
hosts.cfg.) and I have to restart to make it start again

I can come close the behavior I want by making my hosts.cfg:
   0.0.0.0  goo.bar.com # nodisp
   0.0.0.0  foo.bar.com #
and adding a line to combo.cfg like:
   foo.bar.com.baz = (foo.bar.com.conn && goo.bar.com.conn)
but then my combined test result appears as 'baz' rather than 'conn' and
my tests are smeared across two files.

Can anyone else suggest another way?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov