[Xymon] test of pultiple ports for same service on same host

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Fri Apr 4 17:04:58 CEST 2014

On 4/4/2014 6:15 AM, Jeremy Laidman wrote:
> On 3 April 2014 03:11, John Thurston <john.thurston at alaska.gov> wrote:
>
>> This reuses all/any of the ftp send/response strings in protocols.cfg
>> which is nicer than copy/paste the whole section. The problem with this
>> approach is updates to the Xymon application will repair protocols.cfg by
>> keeping my modified definition _and_ reinserting the original.
>

> You can use the "include" keyword for protocols.cfg.  So you could append
> "include protocols-local.cfg" at the end of protocols.cfg, and then put
> your re-definition into that file.

A couple of months ago, I dug through the documentation seeking just
such an option. Your suggestion was enough to have me try it even
without finding it in the doc. I didn't confirm the 'include' keyword
worked because I really wanted the 'directory' function.

a'yep. It does.

I've appended:
    directory /opt/xymon/server/etc/protocols.d
to server/etc/protocols.cfg and it happily consumes the files I put in
that directory.

> Upgrades should leave your own version
> alone, and you only need to re-insert the include line to get it working
> again.  If it's anything like the graphs.cfg file, later definitions (such
> as in files included at the end) will replace earlier definitions.

Shucks. I didn't know it would work with graphs.cfg, too. I'm off to try
the same thing there. Thank you, Jeremy!

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration