[Xymon] Using rclient to connect to a Tripplite terminal server

Root, Paul T Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Wed Nov 13 18:57:16 CET 2013

I recently got some new terminal servers from Tripplite, and I want to monitor them. Since I can't really build the client on it, I thought I would use the xymon-rclient.sh script from Jeremy Laidman. It seems to work pretty well, more or less it ssh's to the client in question, transfers over the proper xymonclient script, and populates the results.

The script runs from tasks.cfg. The tripplite is some form of minimal linux, so I copied xymonclient-linux.sh to xymonclient-tripplite.sh, and started editing. This didn't work. Rclient happily ran the script and gave good output I can see from debugging. It seems that xymon ignores it, I'm guessing because it doesn't recognize 'tripplite' as a valid os type. Is there a way to add 'tripplite' as an os type? Would that be client-local.cfg?

So instead, I modified xymonclient-linux.sh and have it run. The tripplite doesn't have uptime, so I get that from /proc/uptime and /proc/loadaverage and do a bunch of manipulations with dc. Also, top won't run without a terminal, and you can't set a terminal, so the 'cpu' output is a bit sparse.  Ps doesn't have any options, and says COMMAND instead of CMD, so I fix that. Also, df needed some frobbing.

The last thing really, is vmstat, it doesn't have one. So I was thinking again to using /proc/vmstat, and manipulate that, but I'm not really sure how to start there, and there isn't a whole lot in /proc/vmstat. Any ideas there?

nr_free_pages 2651
nr_inactive_anon 0
nr_active_anon 1573
nr_inactive_file 3249
nr_active_file 3114
nr_anon_pages 1535
nr_mapped 1051
nr_file_pages 6407
nr_dirty 0
nr_writeback 0
nr_slab_reclaimable 1334
nr_slab_unreclaimable 699
nr_page_table_pages 96
nr_unstable 0
nr_bounce 0
nr_vmscan_write 0
nr_writeback_temp 0

Does anybody use rclient.sh and/or have any advice?

Thanks,
Paul.

Paul Root
Senior Engineer
CenturyLink Network Reliability Operations Center

600 Stinson Blvd, N.E.
Flr 2N
Minneapolis, MN 55413
Direct: (651)312-5207