[Xymon] combine status and data in same column with graph

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 17:52:01 CET 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Jeremy Laidman <jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au>wrote:

> Asif
>
> It might be an either/or, situation otherwise you get the situation you've
> described, where both status_rrd and data_rrd channels try to update the
> RRD file.
>
> You might find that adjusting the TEST2RRD variable to include only
> "columname" and not "columnname=ncv" might do the trick.  The man page for
> xymond_rrd talks about the "ncv" part only being used for status messages.
>  But this is a long-shot.

Looks like if I do not have  columnname=ncv it does not generate a rrd file.

> You can include the NCV in your status message, perhaps hidden inside a
> comment like this:
>
>  $XYMON $XYMSRV "status $MACHINE.$COLUMN $COLOR `date`
>
>       ${MSG}
> <!--
>   foo: 1
>   bar: 2
> -->
> "
>
>  But you'd also need to reformat your MSG to not contain anything that
> looks like NCV.  It might be sufficient to remove all the colons and equals
> signs, for example.

I did some clean up so nothing in MSG has NCV like data and I added the NCV
data in the <-- ... --> . It did create the rrd file with the correct NCV
keys, but values
are zeros. It is dropping the values for some reason? So I am almost there
if I can figure out why the values are not showing up.

The other option would be using --extra-test and --extra-script and parse
the values from the status channel to generate rrd?

> If you want to send the data separately, perhaps use a trends message,
> like so:

I want the graph show up in the test page, so sending it to just trends
won't work, right?

> $XYMON $XYMSRV "data $MACHINE.trends
> [columnname.rrd]
>  DS:foo:GAUGE:600:0:U 1
> DS:bar:GAUGE:600:0:U 2
> "
>

> Cheers
> Jeremy
>

> On 13 November 2013 09:20, Asif Iqbal <vadud3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I sent some text to status channel and some NCVs to the data channel for
>> same test/columnname.
>>
>> So on the same script I have the followings

>> $XYMON $XYMSRV "status $MACHINE.$COLUMN $COLOR `date`
>>
>>       ${MSG}
>>       "
>> $XYMON $XYMSRV "data $MACHINE.$COLUMN
>>
>>   foo: 1
>>   bar: 2
>> "
>>
>> Then I placed the columnname=ncv in TEST2RRD and restarted xymon
>>
>> rrdtool dump $COLUMN.rrd shows all the text from status msgs in it, yikes!
>>
>> How do I tell xymon to look at only the data channel for the rrds and
>> leave the status channel alone for this test/columnname?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Asif Iqbal
>> PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?