[Xymon] WinPSClient - Updates?

Jason Richards Pagh JasonRP at techheads.com
Wed Nov 13 03:27:41 CET 2013

So it looks like the WinPSClient hasn’t been updated in a few months. I had seen a thread from quite a while ago about some issues David was running into, but can’t tell if he’s still around and willing/able to work on it.

I’ve been able to get XymonPSClient.exe (aka SrvAny) to run powershell natively as a 64-bit executable. The only change necessary to enable this was changing the PowerShell executable to running as %windir%\sysnative\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe. The sysnative portion prevents a 32-bit program (SrvAny) from being redirected to %windir%\SysWow64. (See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384187(v=vs.85).aspx).

I also found a better service wrapper than SrvAny, namely nssm (http://nssm.cc/). This has the ability to detect if powershell fails and restart it, which is something SrvAny lacks. It also comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, so when using the latter the sysnative piece isn’t necessary. I’ve only been working at this for a day or two, so it probably needs more testing, but it looks promising.

Is there any work (design contemplation) about how xymonclient.ps1 could handle external scripts? I assume this was just a future phase and not so much a limitation or barrier that hadn’t yet been overcome.

Thanks.

---

Jason Richards Pagh