[Xymon] Step missing to get XymonPSClient working?

Jason Richards Pagh JasonRP at techheads.com
Tue Nov 12 22:41:52 CET 2013

I did manage to get this worked out. It looks like the parameters that get set on the service don’t work for me so I changed them.

The parameters that get set during “.\xymonclient.ps1 install” are as follows:
-nonInteractive -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -File C:\Xymon\xymonclient.ps1

For whatever reason, this didn’t work for me. However, changing it to the following worked:
-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -NoLogo -NonInteractive -NoProfile -WindowStyle Hidden -File C:\Xymon\xymonclient.ps1

The 3 differences are Bypass, instead of Unrestricted (for the Execution Policy), Not loading a profile and hiding the window. I don’t know which of them made it work, but I thought I would document this for anyone else that may run into the problem.

Furthermore, here’s a simple set of Powershell commands I can use to instantiate the Xymon components on new windows servers (assuming the original files are located on \\srcserver\c$\Xymon:

New-Item -Type Directory -Path c:\Xymon
CD C:\Xymon
Copy-Item ‘\\srcserver\c$\xymon\XymonPSClient.exe'
Copy-Item '\\srcserver\c$\xymon\xymonclient.ps1'
Copy-Item '\\srcserver\c$\xymon\xymonsend.ps1'
.\xymonclient.ps1 install
.\xymonclient.ps1 set servers xymonserver
.\xymonclient.ps1 set clientconfigfile C:\Xymon\xymonconfig.cfg
.\xymonclient.ps1 set clientlogfile C:\Xymon\xymonclient.log
New-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\services\XymonPSClient\parameters" -name "Application Parameters" -Type string -Value "-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -NoLogo -NonInteractive -NoProfile -WindowStyle Hidden -File C:\Xymon\xymonclient.ps1" -Force
Start-Service XymonPSClient

Having run those, and assuming the server I’m running it on has already been added to hosts.cfg on xymonserver, it all works out.

---

Jason Richards Pagh