[Xymon] Xymon forgetting acks at reboot

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Sun Mar 17 13:38:47 CET 2013

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013, cleaver at terabithia.org wrote:

> (moved to bottom posting)
>
>> On Mar 16, 2013, at 12:05 AM, me at tdiehl.org wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am running the 4.3.10 rpms from terabithia.org on a Centos 6 machine.
>>>
>>> Every time I reboot the machine xymon forgets all of the services that
>>> are either
>>> acked or disabled.
>>>
>>> Is this expected behavior and if not how do I go about troubleshooting
>>> it?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Tom     me at tdiehl.org           Spamtrap address        me123 at tdiehl.org
>>
>> Firstly, where is the ack directory? If it is in /tmp that would explain
>> them disappearing.
>>

>> Steve
>>

> Actually, it might be simpler than that... :/
>
> Long story short, there's a $XYMONRUNDIR patched in pointing to
> (/var/run/xymon/) to differentiate certain daemon-controlled files for
> SELinux purposes. Sockets and pid files are fine there, but checkpoint
> files shouldn't be if they're expected to survive a reboot/crash (which
> they are). xymond state will be recreated relatively soon, but the alert
> checkpoint is gone and would be missed. Kind of surprised I hadn't caught
> this, or it hadn't been reported by now...
>

> Quick fix: Double check the --checkpoint-file and --restart options for
> [xymond] and [alert] in /etc/xymon/tasks.cfg -- change them to point to
> $XYMONTMP (default: /var/lib/xymon/tmp/ in the RPM) instead of
> $XYMONRUNDIR.

FWIW, I noticed that there was a symlink in /var/lib/xymon/tmp that looks like
the following:

(bugs pts8) # ll /var/lib/xymon/tmp/xymond.chk
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 25 Sep  5  2012 /var/lib/xymon/tmp/xymond.chk -> /var/run/xymon/xymond.chk
(bugs pts8) #

Restarting xymon after modifying /etc/xymon/tasks.cfg nuked the symlink and
wrote the checkpoint file to /var/lib/xymon/tmp.

In addition, I found that --checkpoint-file under alert was already set to
$XYMONTMP/alert.chk.

> This is almost certainly a packaging issue; I'll post a note on this on
> the site and get a new RPM out soon.

I am going to reboot the machine later today. Will let you know is this
solves the issue.

Thanks for looking into this. I really appreciate the work you do on the
xymon rpms.

Tom			me at tdiehl.org		Spamtrap address	 		me123 at tdiehl.org