[Xymon] New monitoring script on Xmonton - db_cpu.ksh

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 13:08:49 CET 2013

A good catch, and something I didn't consider.
All our databases instances have very different names, so the scenario you
describe just never occurred to me.
I will have a look at fixing this one when I get back to the office on
Tuesday. (Monday is a public holiday here)
However, if anybody wants to suggest a fix, or even update the code, go for
it.

Regards
Vernon

On 2 March 2013 17:14, Andrey Chervonets <a.chervonets at cominder.eu> wrote:

> Good news.
>
> Had reviewed the script. There may be one problem in that lines:
> --
>    for PROC in $(ps -efa | grep $DB | awk '{ print $2 }')
> --
> You do just grep, but imagine there may be instances like:
> MYDB
> MYDB1
> MYDB12
> or NOMYDB
> So it will count MYDB numbers for MYDB1, MYDB12 and NOMYDB too
>
> We should make grepping more intelligent, because oracle processes may be
> listed like:
>  ora_j000_MYDB
> oracleMYDB (LOCAL=NO)
>  ora_ckpt_MYDB
> and so on
>

> Best regards,
>
> Andrey Chervonets
> ----------------------
> CoMinder Ltd.
> http://www.cominder.eu/
> Mobile: +371 26517848
> Fax: +371 66066346
>

> On 01.03.2013 13:00, xymon-request at xymon.com wrote:
>
>> Message: 10
>> Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 14:40:58 +0800
>> From: Vernon Everett<everett.vernon at gmail.**com<everett.vernon at gmail.com>

>> Subject: [Xymon] New monitoring script on Xmonton
>> gmail.com<CAGo4kcYUaYJ8TSjrs4xf7pNzptsB3vk3B5omLAae_M-2jtWokg at mail.gmail.com>

>> Hi all
>>
>> I have just put something together to monitor Oracle database CPU usage.
>> http://www.xymonton.org/**monitors:db_cpu.ksh<http://www.xymonton.org/monitors:db_cpu.ksh>

"Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory"
- General George Patton