[Xymon] HP ILO via DEVMON was Re: Monitoring HP ILO via Ssh

Betsy Schwartz betsy.schwartz at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 23:37:33 CEST 2013

Not having much luck with this.

Our HP servers are mostly HP Proliants, G5 through G8, mostly blades with
some standalone, plus the  HP bladesystems.
The HP's are running a mix of Linux, x86 Solaris, VMWare ESXi and
Windows.I'd like to get the information out of the ILO without having to
run the HP utilities, because that gives us OS-independent monitoring.

The ILO does have an option to take SNMP queries (as opposed to passing
them through to an agent on the OS) but I don't think these are the right
MIB's for these boxes.  I can do an snmpwalk from my xymon dev server, but
SNMPget just gets me variations on "There is no such variable name in this
MIB " or " No Such Instance currently exists at this OID".  (are the MIB's
different for ILO vs pass-through SNMP, do you suppose?)

This is the tip of SNMPwalk from one of our newest G8's
SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: Integrated Lights-Out 4 1.22 Apr 19 2013
SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.232.9.4.10

and this from one of the older boxes:

SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: Linux
hostname.example.com2.6.18-308.13.1.0.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Aug 22 05:10:25
EDT 2012 x86_64
SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: NET-SNMP-MIB::netSnmpAgentOIDs.10

This *is* the first time I've installed either SNMP or Devmon, I've got to
find a simpler test  case to experiment with.