[Xymon] Version 5 with IPv6 - anyone for testing? And some news ...

Christian Herzog herzog at phys.ethz.ch
Tue Jul 30 08:39:47 CEST 2013

Good morning Henrik,

thanks for the good news. I'm compiling the new version as we speak. I'll keep
you posted as we progress.

cheers,
-Christian

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 08:18:29AM +0200, Henrik Størner wrote:

> >>Barring unforeseen events, I think there will be a version ready for
> >>testing mid-september. It will probably require some shakedown,
> >>since there is a lot of new code, but a release during the autumn
> >>should be possible.
>
> >thanks a lot for this encouraging update. We'll stand by with our test setup,
> >ready to get our hands dirty.
>
> Okay .... if you really want to get dirty, then I have some code
> waiting for all of you to test. Head over to
> http://www.xymon.com/misc/ and grab the 4.3.99.<date> tar-file.
>
> (Or grab the latest trunk from Sourceforge's SVN archive).
>
> NOTE: I strongly recommend that you run this in a test setup - or at
> least be prepared to break your current installation. At least,
> backup your xymon installation directory and the *.chk files in the
> server/tmp/ directory.
>

> Building it should be well-known, except that you need two more
> libraries: The new network test module uses an SQLite3 database
> internally, and xymond now needs the "zlib" library - so those must
> be installed, including any "developer" packages.
>
> On Debian, I have the libsqlite3-0:amd64, libsqlite3-dev:amd64 and
> sqlite3 packages for SQLite3; and the zlib1g:amd64 and
> zlib1g-dev:amd64 packages for zlib.
>

> make - make install
>

> Make sure that the xymond/etcfiles/protocols2.cfg file is installed
> in you server/etc/ directory. The old protocols.cfg is no longer
> used.
>
> Make sure the server/bin/fping4 and fping6 programs are suid-root;
> if not then "chown 0 server/bin/fping*; chmod u+s server/bin/fping*"
> as root.
>
> Start Xymon and see what happens :-o
>

> The new network module runs as a daemon, so don't be surprised that
> it runs all the time. xymonnet2 does the normal network checks (tcp
> tests), and the "netmodule ping" job handles all of the ping checks.
>
> "ping" status is now reported in a "ping" column. This will change
> before the final release.
>
> If a host has both an IPv4 and IPv6 address, then Xymon will test
> the IPv4 address only. You cannot change that right now.
>
> SSL certificate status is not yet there. We have the data, but don't
> generate the status update yet.
>
> LDAP- and RPC-checks are not implemented yet.
>
> Some of the more exotic details are also missing, e.g. pinging hosts
> with multiple IP's.
>

> What I am most interested in right now is - does it work at all ?
> Does it crash ? You'll probably need to add "--debug" options to the
> new commands, but be warned: There's a lot of debug output.
>

> Now a bit of personal news: Those of you who have followed Xymon
> development over the years may know that I have been working for CSC
> while writing Xymon. Xymon has been used a lot at CSC here in
> Copenhagen, so doing special Xymon customisation was also part of my
> work there.
>
> But times are changing, and I have decided to leave CSC. On Thursday
> [...]

Dr. Christian Herzog <herzog at phys.ethz.ch>  support: +41 44 633 26 68
IT Services Group, HPT H 8                    voice: +41 44 633 39 50
Department of Physics, ETH Zurich
8093 Zurich, Switzerland                     http://nic.phys.ethz.ch/