[Xymon] Graphing issues gotcha - RESOLVED

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 06:43:33 CEST 2013

Hi all

I just hit an interesting graphing issue, which I resolved, and I believe
the list could benefit from.

I have a custom test, http://www.xymonton.org/monitors:bb-zfs running on
two hosts.
Sticking to tradition, let's call them foo and bar.
The test status appears fine for both hosts, with graphs for foo, but no
graph for bar.
The rrd file is correctly populated for both, and the graphs appeared
correctly on the trends column.

I eventually traced it back to the graphs.cfg definition.
I had
FNPATTERN zfs,(.*).rrd
However, on bar, I also had a zpool called testzfs, with file systems,
among them, testzfs/test1
This meant that disk (file system) monitoring was creating rrd files
disk,test*zfs,*test1.rrd
The defined FNPATTERN would match this file too, and was trying to graph
the zfs rrd files with some of the disk rrd files. And wasn't too happy
about it.

To fix it, I changed the FNPATTERN definition to
FNPATTERN *^*zfs,(.*).rrd
And all was good.

Anybody using the zfs test might want to make this change. I have updated
Xymonton already, but I am guessing the same "bug" might exist in other
tests too.

Regards
Vernon

--
"Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory"
- General George Patton