[Xymon] Question about Combo test / hosts

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Jul 3 04:44:01 CEST 2013

On 2 July 2013 19:39, Smit, L. (Leen) <leen.smit at vtspn.nl> wrote:

> My question is.. What should the host name be, and where to configure it??
> Should I send the host name from the client?
> Or should the host exists under that name in the hosts.cfg?

It goes into hosts.cfg.  You just make up any old hostname you like.  I
have a separate page (group) for combo display like so:

title Cluster of servers number 1
group Cluster1
0.0.0.0 this-cluster # noconn NAME:"This cluster" COMMENT:"Server 1 and
server 2"
0.0.0.0 that-cluster # noconn NAME:"That cluster" COMMENT:"Server 3 and
server 4"
group Cluster2
0.0.0.0 nother-cluster # ...
0.0.0.0 yetnothercluster # ...

I'm naming the clusters as "???-cluster".  Then in combo.cfg, I define each
cluster name and the test being reported:

this-cluster.dns (server1.example.com.dns || server2.example.com.dns)
that-cluster.http (server3.example.com.http || server4.example.com.http)

The "dns" and "http" tests must be generated somehow.  In my case, by
standard xymonnet tests listed against the servers in hosts.cfg, like:

10.1.2.3 server1.example.com # ping dns ntp
10.1.2.3 server2.example.com # ping dns ntp

But you can generate the test messages any way you like, such as
"KoppelingenGRNA" in your case.