[Xymon] xympnproxy and xymonnet

cleaver at terabithia.org cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Jan 29 22:26:35 CET 2013

> I have a dual Xymon server setup. There is a main display server in a
> network context that allows connections to apache, etc, There is a network
> tester which is buried deep in the middle of the network which can do
> network tests to everything in the network. We also have a legacy private
> network which can't send client messages to the display server, but the
> network test server has an interface on that private network. The network
> tester is also running xymond because I didn't realize I could run the
> server without it. [The network test server is configured with $XYMSRV set
> to the IP of the display server.  The docs are really not clear on how to
> set up a network test server.]
>
> In tasks,cfg I see
>
> # This is the main Xymon daemon. This must be running on at least
> # one server in your setup. If you are setting up a server to do
> # just network tests or run xymonproxy, it is OK to disable this (then
> # you also need to remove the "NEEDS xymond" lines for the tasks
> # you want to run).
> [xymond]
>
> which implies I don't need xymond on the network tester. But, of course it
> will need xymonnet.
>
> Can I safely turn off xymond there (removing the mentioned NEEDS) and turn
> on xymonproxy to try to get our private network hosts in the game? Will
> the
> network tester then continue to send data messages to the display server
> as
> it currently does or do I need to do something different to get it to use
> xymonproxy for that? I'm not really sure how it would know to send data to
> the display server without xymond running, but apparently it would (?).

Correct; you can set up the system on the network poller exactly as if it
were a full xymon server running xymond locally, then disable [xymond],
remove the 'NEEDS xymond' from [xymonnet], and enable [xymonproxy] with
--server= in the relevant tasks.cfg stanza set to the IP of the real
server.

Theoretically, it should be pretty transparent for both your xymonnet
instance as well as any pollers or clients reporting in to it.

Regards,

-jc