[Xymon] fping error code 4 [Resolved]

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 01:54:15 CET 2013

Hi all

Well, it's been 48 hours now, without an incident.
Seems that not all fpings are created equal.

I did install the OpenCSW fping when I installed Xymon. The the install
script defaults to using the last instance of fping it finds, and looks for
the OpenCSW fping last.
>From build/fping.sh
        echo "Checking for fping ..."

        for DIR in / /usr /usr/local /opt /usr/pkg /opt/csw
        do
                if test "$DIR" = "/"; then DIR=""; fi

                if test -x $DIR/bin/fping
                then
                        FPING=$DIR/bin/fping
                elif test -x $DIR/sbin/fping
                then
                        FPING=$DIR/sbin/fping
                fi
        done

I would have expected this to default to the OpenCSW version of fping.

So what went wrong?
My recollection of the install is poor, but It is possible that I ran the
configure script as Xymon user, and had only set the suid bit on
/usr/local/sbin/fping, meaning that
test -x $DIR/bin/fping
would have failed for the OpenCSW version, defaulting to the fping in
/usr/local.
Of course, the script would have reported no errors, because it would have
met all requirements. An executable fping.

*Solution *: Make sure that Xymon is using the OpenCSW fping, as defined by
the FPING= variable in ~/server/etc/xymonserver.cfg
*Prevention 1 *: When running configure at install time, use the --fping
option to explicitly define which fping to use.
*Prevention 2* : Make sure you set the suid bit on ALL instances of fping.

Regards
Vernon