[Xymon] [xymon]problems setting to 'derive'

W.J.M. Nelis Wim.Nelis at nlr.nl
Thu Jan 10 13:29:18 CET 2013

Hello,

> I'm using 2 test using same data to compare the difference between gauge
> & derive (derive is the best choice, because data  that is continuously
> increasing in value between 00:00 and  23:59
>
> When graph using Gauge, values are correct :
> field03a: 5
> field03b: 17
> field03c: 14
> field04a: 3
> field04b: 12
> field04c: 15
> Total: 66
>
> => same values in graph
>
> But when i switch to derive, values in graphs look like
> field03a: 6m
> field03b: 4m
> field03c: 5.8m
> field04a: 4m
> field04b: 2m
> field04c: 2m
> Total: 0
See http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdcreate.en.html. There you'll see
that there is quite a difference between gauge and derive.
The type of measurement and what you want to know determine which data type
is appropriate. If you are interested in the number of serious errors
reported per second, derive is an appropriate type. Set a minimum value of
zero, to prevent negative spikes in the graphs.

HTH,
   Wim Nelis.

The NLR disclaimer is valid for NLR e-mail messages.

This message is only meant for providing information. Nothing in this e-mail message amounts to a contractual
or legal commitment on the part of the sender.
This message may contain information that is not intended for you. If you are not the addressee or if this
message was sent to you by mistake, you are requested to inform the sender and delete the message.
Sender accepts no liability for damage of any kind resulting from the risks inherent in the electronic
transmission of messages.