[Xymon] Emails not being sent

Ward, Martin Martin.Ward at colt.net
Fri Jan 4 10:34:35 CET 2013

Hi all,

My Xymon server is set up so that I have a number of pages for the support teams to monitor (the usual Xymon pages) but I also have a subset of pages that have a cut-down list of servers and monitor items that I want the 24x7 team to look at and be alerted on.

I did this by simply duplicating the main pages, changing the IP address to 0.0.0.0 and removing any items I didn't want alerted on (group-execpt is my friend here!).

I also configured the alerts.cfg so that the support teams would get emails if things go wrong on their pages and the 24x7 team get alerts if things go wrong on theirs, obviously... one entry looks like this:

Alerts.cfg:

PAGE=SYS
     IGNORE HOST=%sys[12].lon.oss.colt.net  SERVICE=procs,ports # These are reported by the sys-jb process
     SCRIPT /opt/xymon/server/ext/html_mail.pl support at colt.flibble.net  DURATION>10m repeat=1d COLOR=yellow,red
PAGE=IN-SYS
     IGNORE HOST=%sys[12].lon.oss.colt.net  SERVICE=procs,ports # These are reported by the sys-jb process
     SCRIPT /opt/xymon/server/ext/html_mail.pl 24x7 at colt.flibble.net DURATION>1h repeat=8h COLOR=red RECOVERED

The theory here is that if the disk column goes yellow then only support at colt.flibble.net  gets and email whereas is the disk column goes red then both support at colt.flibble.net and 24x7 at colt.flibble.net  get an email.

Sadly only support at colt.flibble.net  gets an email in both cases. Support does always get an email so I know that the actual tests work, I just cannot get the system to send out the second email! I've gone through every log file and large amounts of debug output to no avail. The output of xymond_alert -dump-config looks fine:

  173   PAGE=SYS
        IGNORE REPEAT=30 HOST=%sys[12].lon.oss.colt.net SERVICE=procs,ports STOP
        SCRIPT /opt/xymon/server/ext/html_mail.pl support at colt.flibble.net FORMAT=SCRIPT REPEAT=1440 COLOR=yellow,red DURATION>10

  176   PAGE=IN-SYS
        IGNORE REPEAT=30 HOST=%sys[12].lon.oss.colt.net SERVICE=procs,ports STOP
        SCRIPT /opt/xymon/server/ext/html_mail.pl 24x7 at colt.flibble.net FORMAT=SCRIPT REPEAT=480 COLOR=red DURATION>60 RECOVERED

Suggestions are always appreciated,

|\/|