[Xymon] weird problem.

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Feb 27 06:29:07 CET 2013

On 26 February 2013 19:47, Neil Simmonds
<Neil.Simmonds at express-gifts.co.uk>wrote:

> There are no messages regarding truncated data in the server logs and the
> only message I can find on the client is the following,
>
> ** **
>
> 2013-02-26 08:41:21 Write error while sending message to bbd at xymonserver
> :1984****
>
> 2013-02-26 08:41:21 Whoops ! bb failed to send message - write error

Perhaps try running the client script manually like so:

$ cd ~xymon/client/bin
$ sudo -u xymon ./xymoncmd
$ time ./xymonclient.sh

This might show an error you didn't see before.  At the very least, it will
give you an idea how long it takes to run/fail.  You might also run it as:

$ sh -x ./xymonclient.sh

Then see what takes all the time.

Perhaps you could run it through truss to see what system calls are being
run when the connection closes.  Like so:

$ truss -f ./xymonclient.sh

It's likely to be caused by taking to long to transfer the data, either
because the data is taking too long to transmit (eg duplex mismatch causing
network errors) or because there's too much data to sent.  You could try
increasing the timeout value for xymond on the server by adding "--timeout
N" (from 5 to 60) in tasks.cfg.  The man page for xymond says the default
is 10 seconds, but the code for v4.3.10 shows 30 seconds.

I don't think the server normally logs a message if it times out a
connection in this way.  However if you turn on debug (by adding "--debug"
in tasks.cfg) then it should log "No command for update_statistics" when
this happens.