[Xymon] MAPE: tweak for display of servers

Deiss, Mark Mark.Deiss at xerox.com
Thu Feb 14 11:45:10 CET 2013

Not sure how this is going to work with the Xymon list - attaching parse-config.pl as gzip compressed file attachment.

Cksum of compressed file is:	3016825703 3806 parse-config.pl.gz
Cksum value of file is:		1844361285 13740 parse-config.pl

The MAPE author has the click-through on their development list but not clear on what they intend to display.
If the MAPE server node is red then would assume that the clickable link should bring up the Xymon server's particular red web page. But what if there are two or more red alerts on a server; which to bring up? Similarly, what is to be the displayed click-through for a MAPE server in green state. Seems like (?) the MAPE server click-through should just cycle to the particular Xymon web page showing all the server's monitored column responses.

MAPE is also by default only showing distinction for red, yellow, and green events. Sites may want to tweak MAPE to show purple events too - in which case may need to factor that into the click-through behavior.

Other thing to be aware of is MAPE scans through all the servers' monitored responses. There is no discounting on test results that are thrown away by Xymon web presentation. i.e. you are collecting results for server1 for msgs test but not displaying using it in Xymon (you have a "... server1 # NOCOLUMN: msgs" in hosts.cfg). The upshot is MAPE will change the server color based on MAPE's scan of this Xymon unused-test. Oops.  MAPE doesn't yet process the NOCOLUMN directive to exclude tests. It gets even hairier as sites may have different tests grouped in subpages covering the same server. Yet MAPE will be processing everything it finds for the server in every subpage encountered; there is no distinction made per the test granularity made in hosts.cfg. i.e. there may be a Xymon main page with server1 restricted to conventional test checks and a subpage restricted to just database test checks. MAPE will be scanning both conventional and database test results and apply the summary color found for everything for both MAPE branch groupings for server1 (conventional and database groupings).
	I bring this up as you may have a red event showing up in the MAPE conventional grouping example (and the database subpage) due to a test that in Xymon is grouped under the database grouping. It would be confusing to have the MAPE conventional grouping click-through bring up the Xymon red-database detail web page (also do not want to try and bring up Xymon web detail pages for the tests that are being excluded across the board).